[PET] Two PhD positions in Computer Security at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)

Christian Wressnegger c.wressnegger at kit.edu
Tue Dec 17 08:36:57 GMT 2019

**Apologies if you received duplicate copies of this email**

Dear members of the PET mailing list,

The "Intelligent System Security" research group at Karlsruhe Institut
of Technology (IT) is seeking to fill the position of two

	PhD Students/ Research Assistants (f/m/d)
in the field of Computer Security and Artificial Intelligence

Both positions are fully funded with the German salary level TV-L 13
(100%) and should be filled at the soonest possible date. In the
beginning, the positions are limited to two years, but they offer the
possibility of funding the entire duration of the PhD.

## Research

Our research group works on the application of machine learning for
computer security. In particular, we develop methods in the area of
application security and system security, for instance, approaches for
attack detection or vulnerability discovery in software and embedded
devices. Also, the robustness, security, and interpretability of
machine learning methods are central to our research.

## Your Profile

We are looking for talented candidates that fulfill the following
criteria and intend to pursue a PhD in computer science:

- Diploma or Master's degree in computer science or any related field
- Very good knowledge of computer security and/or machine learning
- Enthusiasm for conducting research on computer security

## Field of Work

Possible research topics include, but are not limited to:

- The analysis of attacks and malware using machine learning
- Assisted discovery of vulnerabilities
- Fuzz Testing (Fuzzing) using machine learning
- Attacks against learning-based systems
- Explainability of machine learning in computer security

## Application

Please send your application including a cover letter, your CV, and
certificates/references to <applications at intellisec.org>. Make sure to
point out why you are a good fit for us and research in computer
security.

We strive for a diverse research team and ask people from all nations
to join us. Moreover, qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Disabled persons with equivalent aptitude will be favored.

## Application Deadline

12. January 2020

A copy of the job description is available here:

	https://intellisec.de/jobs/phd-2020-en.html

Kind regards,
Christian Wressnegger.

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Institute of Theoretic Computer Science (ITI)

Prof. Dr. Christian Wressnegger
Head of research group

Am Fasanengarten 5
Geb. 50.34, Raum 162
76131 Karlsruhe, Germany

Phone: +49 721 608-44205
Fax: +49 721 608-55022
E-mail: c.wressnegger at kit.edu
Web: https://intellisec.de

Registered office:
Kaiserstraße 12, 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany

KIT – The Research University in the Helmholtz Association