[PET] Assistant/Associate Professor of Cyber Security at TU Delft, The Netherlands

Zekeriya Erkin - EWI Z.Erkin at tudelft.nl
Tue Sep 20 12:40:38 BST 2016

FYI. Please spread the word! Thanks.

Best Regards,
Zeki Erkin

Assistant/Associate Professor of Cyber Security

Department/faculty: Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science
Level: PhD degree
Working hours: 38 hours per week
Contract: Tenure track
Salary: €3400 to €4654 per month gross
Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science

The Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) is known worldwide for its high academic quality and the social relevance of its research programmes. The faculty’s excellent facilities accentuate its international position in teaching and research. Within this interdisciplinary and international setting the faculty employs more than 1100 employees, including about 400 graduate students and about 2100 students. Together they work on a broad range of technical innovations in the fields of sustainable energy, telecommunications, microelectronics, embedded systems, computer and software engineering, interactive multimedia and applied mathematics. EEMCS: Your Connection to the Future.

The Department of Intelligent Systems (INSY) conducts research on processing, interpretation and securing of data. Our aim is to enable humans and machines to deal with the increasing volume and complexity of data and communication. We have a strong focus on security, multimedia, and health sciences. The Department pursues its mission by combining fundamental research, engineering and design approaches to model-based & knowledge-based methods and algorithms. We actively seek research and technology transfer collaboration with international scientific peers, companies, and societal organisations.

Secure design and engineering is a central topic of research and education at Delft University of Technology. The Faculty of EEMCS focuses on computer (and data) science theory and engineering of cyber security in distributed systems and networks. Projects encompass network security, software engineering, privacy and security in peer-to-peer systems, privacy enhancing technology, and malware spreading, detection and modelling. Application domains include healthcare and intelligent energy supply (smart grids).

Job description

Rather than focusing on a narrow theme, we value the diversity of our cyber security research and education portfolio. This implies that we see ICT as an enabling technology and that technology-related cyber security challenges are researched while simultaneously taking into account the specific characteristics of the domain in which ICT is used.
The cyber security section broadly covers the following themes: (1) applied cryptography for information sharing and identity, privacy and trust enhancement; (2) (global) network security including security of critical infrastructures; and (3) data analytics for reverse engineering, attack and malware detection.
Requirements

We are looking for an inspiring candidate who is able to strengthen the current research and education themes and activities of the section.The candidate has a PhD in computer science or a related discipline with a proven track record in cyber security and experience in at least one of the above-mentioned research themes of the section. (S)he is expected to strengthen the cooperation with current faculty members of the section in all research and education activities, including the (co-)supervision of PhD students. (S)he has the ambition to build partnerships with leading institutions worldwide. The candidate shares our view that communication skills are important, as is the ability to interact with peers, students and technical staff. Teaching experience is important.
Conditions of employment

A tenure-track position is offered for six years. Based on performance indicators agreed upon at the start of the appointment, a decision will be made by the fifth year whether to offer you a permanent faculty position.
The TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, a discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. An International Children’s Centre offers childcare and an international primary school. Dual Career Services offers support to accompanying partners. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
The TU Delft sets specific standards for the English competency of the teaching staff. The TU Delft offers training to improve English competency.
Inspiring, excellent education is our central aim. If you have less than five years of experience and do not yet have your teaching certificate, we allow you up to three years to obtain this.

Information and application

For more information about this position, please contact Prof. Jan van den Berg, phone: +31 (0)15-2782794, e-mail: J.vandenBerg at tudelft.nl<mailto:J.vandenBerg at tudelft.nl>. To apply, please e-mail a detailed CV, a research and an educational statement, at least three references and at most five key publications along with a letter of application by 1 November 2016 to Ms. Annemiek Prummel, Hr-eemcs at tudelft.nl<mailto:Hr-eemcs at tudelft.nl>.
When applying for this position, please refer to vacancy number EWI2016-44.