[PET] Fwd: Interesting metadata

Wright, Matthew mwright at uta.edu
Sat Mar 15 03:35:46 GMT 2014

I love this little study.

http://webpolicy.org/2014/03/12/metaphone-the-sensitivity-of-telephone-metadata/

Two choice quotes:

We did not anticipate finding much evidence one way or the other, however, since the MetaPhone participant population is small and participants only provide a few months of phone activity on average.

We were wrong. We found that phone metadata is unambiguously sensitive, even in a small population and over a short time window. We were able to infer medical conditions, firearm ownership, and more, using solely phone metadata.

…

 *   In a span of three weeks, Participant D contacted a home improvement store, locksmiths, a hydroponics dealer, and a head shop.
 *   Participant E had a long, early morning call with her sister. Two days later, she placed a series of calls to the local Planned Parenthood location. She placed brief additional calls two weeks later, and made a final call a month after.