[PET] Fwd: Apache Webserver Update Ignores IE10 Privacy Settings

Ben Laurie ben at links.org
Wed Sep 19 16:58:40 BST 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Wright, Matthew <mwright at uta.edu> wrote:
> Interesting implications for privacy?

Dunno. But IMO Microsoft are not following the standard. Cherry
picking a different part of the requirements makes it clearer:

"Key to that notion of expression is that it must reflect the user's
preference, not the choice of some vendor, institution, or
network-imposed mechanism outside the user's control. The basic
principle is that a tracking preference expression is only transmitted
when it reflects a deliberate choice by the user. In the absence of
user choice, there is no tracking preference expressed."

It seems pretty obvious to me that no matter what your screen says, if
you are offering a quick setup vs. a customised one, this is _not_ a
reflection of the users preference for privacy, just a reflection of
their preference to not tweak a bazillion configuration options.