[PET] IAPP Global Privacy Summit

Hannes Tschofenig hannes.tschofenig at gmx.net
Tue Sep 11 10:15:13 BST 2012

Hi Jason,

In the early days of the work on PETs there was some expectation raised that some technology would (magically) solve many of the privacy problems.

By now we know that this is not true.

So, I was wondering what specifically you had in mind in your talk.

I could imagine that it makes sense to talk about technologies that happen to be quite important for privacy but unfortunately they are very boring for most people otherwise. For example, TLS is probably the most successful technology from a privacy point of view.

Permission / consent dialogs are relevant for identity management systems (particularly those that use OAuth).

For communication systems (like instant messaging, social networks, VoIP systems) there are authorization mechanisms that offer certain privacy protection.

I fear that most privacy issues are quite subtle and very specific to certain applications.

Ciao
Hannes