[PET] Open Access?

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Thu Jun 14 16:03:41 BST 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:35:34AM +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:
| On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Nikita Borisov <nikitab at cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
| > I would prefer not to have such a restriction. I know a number of people
| > (several on this list, surely) who have opted not to provide *review*
| > services for non-open-access venues, but I don't know of anyone who has
| > decided not to publish in non-OA venues.
|
| Me :-)

I believe that Larry Lessig has chosen to only publish in open access
journals.  This http://www.openaccesspledge.com/?page_id=21 says the
pledge is offline, and points to this post
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2005/03/lawrence-lessig-takes-oa-pledge.html.
It also lists others who have made such pledges.

| > I think even if there are such
| > people on this list, they would form a small minority. Overall, I think the
| > pressure one would exert on publishers towards open access by implementing
| > such a CFP forwarding policy would be minimal and its benefits would be
| > outweighed by failing to get potentially relevant CFP information to PET
| > list members.
|
| In other words, you support the business of taking publicly funded
| research and tying it up in commercial agreements?

I am in favor of only sending open access calls for papers, but
recognize that I'm in the pleasant (for me) position of not needing to
publish in academic journals to advance my career.

Ben, I recognize that you may not want to provide a subsidy to those
venues that close access to valuable work.  Since you, like Elsevier
and Springer, offer a valuable service to the community, you could
invoice the publisher of each non-open-access volume for advertising
services?  ;)

Adam