[PET] cognitive dissonance indeed

Claudia Diaz claudia.diaz at esat.kuleuven.be
Fri Apr 20 17:29:30 BST 2012

Michael, thanks for sending the link to the Solove paper - very enjoyable reading!

Matt, my impression is that talking about "ownership of personal data" is too simplistic to capture the complexities of the problem. Who owns statistical profiles made from "anonymized" data? If I comment on a picture uploaded by you in which Alice and Bob appear, who is the owner of the "data"? Who "owns" this email, which contains the message by Matt, the response of Michael (with his PGP key), my response, links to two articles, and the email address of the PET list?

... to me the register article looks like a clumsy attempt to sell DRM as the solution to our privacy problems.