[PET] anonymous messaging via vibe?

Jonathan Anderson jonathan.anderson at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 18 10:06:43 BST 2011

Since anyone nearby (or, more precisely, anyone who *says* they're nearby) can read a vibe, it's certainly not private.

As for anonymity, the best-case scenario is probably that the app uses TLS to talk to a central message server which behaves a little bit like a mix. In this scenario, everybody can read the vibes and observe approximate timing, and the telco can do traffic analysis, so "anonymity" depends mostly on how identifying your messages are and how mixey the mix is (I suspect, not very mixey). On the other hand, since the developers aren't talking about security at all, they're probably just sending cleartext over your 3G connection, so the telco knows exactly who said what, and can link it to your IMSI, Visa number, billing address...

Something more appropriate for protests would use one (or several) of the other radios in the phone to distribute local messages... the trade-offs between speed of dissemination and security are interesting. You might want to send a message like "the march is starting!" in plaintext via all media, to spread quickly, whereas "my thoughts about why this protest is important, and what you should do" are probably not as time-sensitive, and probably more security-sensitive (since they identifiy you as a leader). I'm not aware of a system like this; it would be very cool. A Git-like distributed Twitter would solve the first problem, but I'm not sure about the second.

Jon
--
Jonathan Anderson

Research Student, Security Group