[PET] Negative Results in Security and Privacy

Günter Müller mueller at iig.uni-freiburg.de
Tue May 31 09:30:44 BST 2011

Privacy Research needs experiments like this. I congratulate. But I need
to add some concerns. First, Aquisti, Spiekermann und Guenther have done
experiments like this about 5 years ago. We have done this even longer
ago. Kaiser J, Reichenbach M. "Evaluating security tools towards usable
security". Hammond, J., Gross, T., Wesson, J.: Usability Gaining a
Competitive Edge, IFIP 17th World Computer Congress, Montreal, Canada,
Kluwer Academic Publishers, 25.-30. August; 2002.

  The approach approach as fas as the concentration on monetoary factors
for was identical to yours. But: The concentration on monetary factors
is just one aspect, which is well understood if one is not concerned
with the specificity of goods. A commodity has less privacy concern that
a person related product. For the latter case also Aquisti has shown
that privacy really matters.

Best regards

G. Mueller