[PET] Negative Results in Security and Privacy

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Mon May 30 19:28:38 BST 2011

Thanks for sharing this paper!

I don't think that the experiment allows us to make broad
generalizations.  In the "privacy sensitive" case you ask for date of
birth and monthly salary, but people could have lied about their
answers while saving a euro.  Additionally, since the participants
were already giving up privacy in providing payment information, the
additional intrusion may have seemed irrelevant.

I do think it's an interesting setup and probably worth further
investigation to tease out questions like what happens if subjects
could pay with cash, does the DVD subject matter impact their choices,
or what happens if the experimenters engaged in validation of the
information submitted?

Adam