[PET] CfP: 3rd Hot Topics in Privacy Enhancing Technologies (HotPETs 2010) -- Deadline April 24

Carmela Troncoso carmela.troncoso at esat.kuleuven.be
Thu Apr 22 18:50:26 BST 2010

Call for Papers

*3rd Hot Topics in Privacy Enhancing Technologies (HotPETs 2010)*
Held in conjunction with the 10th Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium
July 21 – July 23, 2010, Berlin, Germany,
http://petsymposium.org/2010/HotPETs

The HotPETs 2010 Submission server is OPEN at:
https://research.cs.umn.edu/hotpets/

As data storage gets ever cheaper and data collection and retention
become ubiquitous, questions of privacy become more acute. The
interactions between the legal and technical privacy protection of the
individuals are becoming ever more important in meeting the challenges
and requirements of modern life.

Held in conjunction with the PET Symposium, HotPETs is a forum for hot
new ideas and perspectives in privacy.  We aim at collecting and
presenting fresh privacy related questions and technical solutions to
the unique audience of the PET symposium for discussion and feedback.

This year we encourage submissions that explore privacy aspects of
systems we use every day: When is privacy unexpectedly strong? Where are
privacy protections weak, but there is little evidence of exploitations?
What are the impacts of the absence of privacy? How does wide
availability of personal data on social networks change the privacy
landscape? We hope that consideration of these kinds of questions will
help bring technical solutions closer to real world deployment and
generate innovative solutions for privacy problems. Student submissions
are especially welcome.

Submissions may be mature works, but the nature of HotPETs’
discussion-oriented format is especially suited to works in progress and
new ideas that have not yet been fully formed.  For this reason accepted
papers will be printed in hard copy in extended abstract form for
release physically at the workshop, but will not be included in the PETS
proceedings so as not to preclude later publication of a full paper.

Suggested topics include but are not restricted to:

• User studies, real world impact of PETs
• Human computer interaction, PETs usability
• Privacy in social networks
• Sociological studies, cultural perspectives, and human rights relating
to privacy
• Legal perspectives and privacy legislation
• Anonymous communications and publishing systems, Censorship resistance
• Attacks on privacy and technologies, vulnerabilities, phishing and
identity theft
• Deployment infrastructure, fielded systems, and studies on existing
systems
• Vehicular privacy
• Economics of privacy
• Privacy in e-Health systems
• Privacy-enhanced access control or authentication/certification

Submission:
      Website: https://research.cs.umn.edu/hotpets/
      Format: 11pt font, 15 page maximum, shorter submissions preferred:
.pdf and .doc accepted.

Important Dates:
HotPETs submission deadline: April 24, 2010, 11:59pm UTC
HotPETs notification: May 8, 2010
HotPETs camera-ready deadline:  May 29, 2010, 11:59pm UTC

HotPETs chairs: Andrei Serjantov (The Free Haven Project) and Carmela
Troncoso (K.U.Leuven)

Contact us with any questions at: hotpets10 at petsymposium.org